Points of Articulation
I Got My Ticket for the Long Way 'Round
by yo go re
[March] [April] [May] [June]
- April 6, 2018
- You can probably identify this place by now - it's The Local! Those handicapped parking spaces you can see in the picture were just added a few months ago - before that, they were in the middle between the Toys "Я" Us and Babies "Я" Us halves of the building, but then more were added. Otherwise this photo would have been taken closer to the doors.
Observations: they are still putting out new merchandise! The ML Hydra pack I got last week just showed up in numbers here, plus there was suddenly NECA stuff they hadn't had out before. It still doesn't feel like a store that's closing, which is going to make it hurt all the more when it does. The import toys are running low, though, and there's now a spot where you can sign up for info on buying the fixtures.
What I got: Carcassonne, Seafarers of Catan, and Lego Women of NASA. Hey, I've got varied interests.
- April 7, 2018
- On a quest for Shocka, so it was back on the road again.
To the Backup! There's even more construction going on around it, now. A hotel or something? I'd be disappointed if I were staying in a hotel and learned that, once upon a time, there was a Toys "Я" Us next door. Which got me thinking about all the wee ones who are now going to have to grow up without being Toys "Я" Us kids. Who would want that?
Observations: the superhero display at the front of the store has almost been picked clean. I overheard someone (presumably brought in to help with the liquidation) giving the manager(?) tips on the best way to spread things out on the shelves. There are large, dirty spots on the floor where the drink fridges have been removed from the front registers.
What I got: Rick and Morty Spaceship and Garage building sets, Ultimate Motorcycle Cop T-1000.
I've been to this outlet mall TRU before, but they've moved since the last time I was there - in fact, I thought they'd closed, but no, they just moved to the back, where you can't see them from the road. Great choice.
Observations: they had three people working the register, but only one in a TRU uniform? What, was it Casual Saturday? Outlet stores are always slightly overpriced, which is kind of counter-intuitive, and today was no different.
What I got: Nothing. They didn't have anything I needed, and I wasn't going to overpay for something just to say I'd gotten it. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever gotten anything at this store, in all the times I've ever stopped there! I had better luck at the calendar store a few doors down. That's how I will always remember you, TRU Express: for changing locations, and being under-stocked.
- April 14, 2018
- Remember when I was here three weeks ago and there was snow on the ground? Now it's 80° and I'm wearing shorts and sandals. Man, summer freaking sucks.
Observations: They're up to 40% off, but only on some things - action figures are holding steady at 10. And again they had NECA things today that they hadn't had before! Marvel Legends, too. The front of the store is mainly dominated by swimming pool boxes, and the Amiibo selection is down to just peg after peg of Ryu and Daisy.
What I got: Bladerunner... Jared Leto. Does he have a name? Probably. But I don't care, I just wanted to get a NECA Jared Leto figure to go with whatshername I got last month. Some day I'll probably see that movie.
- April 18, 2018
- I go to this TRU so often I don't just recognize the workers, I can recognize their cars - I don't know anyone's names, but I know who's working based on the cars in the parking lot. I knew when one employee bought a new car, because I recognized her license plate on a different vehicle than before. I don't want to be one of the "two-faced" folks Will mentioned, acting sorry for the employees while only trying to get the biggest sale - I really do feel bad for these people. And not in a general way, I feel bad for them specifically.
Observations: Action figures are now up to 15% off. One of the Lego aisles has been converted to girls' toys. The employees seem frustrated at having to move things around on the shelves.
What I got: Nothing today.
- April 23, 2018
- Apparently yesterday they had people standing out on the corner, holding signs about the closing. Today they had nothing.
Observations: The "import toys" are has been compressed down to just half the display now, with the other side taken over by electric trains. The care and precision put into maintaining the order of the Funko POP area is impressive, though.
What I got: ML Vision/Scarlet Witch two-pack. Never expected that to show up! Maybe there's a chance for the Ant-Man and Teen Groot sets, too?
- April 26, 2018
- Pre-Infinity War stop at the Local!
Observations: Not a lot's changed since I was here three days ago.
What I got: Nothing. This was just a normal stop before heading to the movie theater.
[March] [April] [May] [June]
Discuss this (and everything else) on our message board, the Loafing Lounge!