Points of Articulation
I Got My Ticket for the Long Way 'Round
by yo go re
[March] [April] [May] [June]
- May 2, 2018
- A new month! Hang in there, TRU.
Observations: Hey, action figures are up to 20% off now!
What I got: And yet I didn't buy anything. I finally decided to get the Dad of War I've been eyeing, but they sold out.
- May 5, 2018
- Laundry? Grocery shopping? A haircut? Why would I do any of these things when I could instead drive my ass to a couple TRUs? Ah, just kidding - I woke up and did laundry early so I could have time to drive my ass to a couple TRUs!
Oh, there are the people holding the signs! Still haven't seen them at the Local, but the Backup had one out there today, looking unhappy to be standing in the sun. It's just like when a furniture store closes.
Observations: Yes, dudebro behind me, I took a picture. Laugh it up. I'll have this picture and memory of my trip when you're reading nostalgia articles on Buzzfeed. Filthy casual.
What I got: Gotham Hugo Strange, iZombie Liv Moore, Dad of War
Look, it's that little outlet store version again! And it only has nine more days to live.
Observations: So empty. So empty. This is what the future holds for every TRU, and it makes me sad. Sad on my inside parts.
What I got: You had nothing for me, empty little store. I will still cherish my memories of you, and your needless trio of workers.
- May 12, 2018
- Okay, I didn't actually end up grocery shopping last weekend like I planned to. But there's a grocery store near The Local, so why don't I just go over there, eh?
Observations: I'd rather be buying toys than groceries. Even though action figures are now at 30% off. Shockingly, there are lots more people there on a Saturday than there are when I go Wednesday or Thursday.
What I got: Nada.
- May 13, 2018
- What better way to spend Mother's Day than by driving half an hour to the Backup? (Don't worry, moms of the world, I used the car phone to call home on the way back.)
Observations: This store doesn't really look empty yet, but you can tell they're really stretching the merchandise out to cover any blank spots. Many pegs will only have one or two things on them each, and the separation of areas is starting to break down: things are just getting moved to wherever there's an empty space.
What I got: Inspired by someone on Twitter, I came home with a bit of "Я" logo signage.
Also their last Mystery Minis Gears of War box. A Locust drone.
- May 14, 2018
- What's that you say? I need to pick up a book at the library? Which I would have done yesterday if not for a freaking street fair? Well, while I'm out, I might as well buy my tickets for Deadpool 2. And, why, look what's here next to the movie theater!
Observations: They've stopped bothering to do any groundskeeping. The grass along the edges of the parking lot is growing wild. Signs on the door proclaim that the liquidator has bought "similar quality merchandise" to add to the sale.
What I got: Zilch.
- May 18, 2018
- This is The Local again - I just figured you'd like to see something other than that same old head-on angle for a change.
Observations: action figures are up to 40% off now, Lego's at 20%. The new merchandise brought in seems to be housed mostly up against the registers. And some lady at the register was arguing about not being able to use giftcards any more. Really? That's been that way for weeks now! It was announced way in advance and everything.
What I got: WWE Elite Lita. Thanks, new merch!
- May 19, 2018
- Remember the TRU with the cool pylons? This is it when the sun is up.
Observations: Good lord, whoever is sending stock to this store is a maniac. Dozens of identical figures. Scores of them. Not full selections of a series, but one. Single. Figure. Over and over.
What I got: Halo Master Chief, construction block Centipede arcade cabinet
- May 29, 2018
- Ten days without visiting a Toys "Я" Us? That's a long time for me! But this was a post-Solo visit.
Observations: Oooh, it's been so long since I've been here, the differences are really apparent. Lots of emptiness, all over the place. Now I'm sad.
What I got: Nothing, this time.
[March] [April] [May] [June]
Discuss this (and everything else) on our message board, the Loafing Lounge!